Monday, March 21, 2011

Deluca Trattoria


225 Richmond Street,

El Segundo, CA 90245-3719

(310) 640-7600

www.delucapasta.com

http://www.yelp.com/biz/deluca-trattoria-el-segundo

Rating: 4.5 stars

Typical cost for lunch: $-$$ ($5-11)

What was ordered: Linguine Frutti di Mare, Pollo al Marsala, Penne all’ Arrabiata

Date of visit: 9 March 2011 (1st visit)


Review: Richmond Street is a quaint, low-key street a block past the busier Main Street in El Segundo. I’m not sure how long it would have taken me to discover this street if I hadn’t gotten a tip to check out Deluca’s Trattoria. It is a serene street for lunch and Deluca’s, with its brick building, fits in nicely.

Inside is elegantly decorated and they even have cotton tablecloths. I was thinking to myself, “I am going to have to put some cash down for this lunch.” Then I saw the menu. A typical bowl of pasta is $6! Then, before we even ordered a big pile of hot, fresh from the oven, homemade bread was brought out. A bowl of olive oil, fresh minced garlic, and red-pepper flakes was on the side to dip the bread into. It wasn’t a plate with a splash of olive oil on it… it was a whole bowl… stuffed with fresh garlic. He couldn’t keep our hands off that bread.

I ended up ordering the most expensive dish on the menu and only paid $11 for a huge plate of Frutti de Mare stuffed with shrimp, scallops, and squid. My friend ordered the Chicken Marsala and when it came out it had a red sauce instead of the typical white marsala wine sauce. We were leery of it at first, but when we tasted it, it was all marsala goodness. The chicken came with vegetables on the side instead of pasta so my friend ordered the Penne all’ Arrabiata, too. The waitress suggested the half-order for only $4. I thought that was nice of her.

The pasta is good at Deluca’s (I would call it 4-stars), but everything on their menu half of what you would expect to spend. Plus, that bread… well I still dream about that bread and the garlic olive oil at night. As is normal procedure, I will refrain from giving out 5-stars based on one visit. 4.5 stars.

-Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment